If you plan on sparring or competing in boxing, it is essential that you get yourself a decent mouth guard for maximum protection and comfort. Not only that your coach will probably not let you spar at all and referees will definitely not allow you to compete without one.
You also won’t want to lose all your teeth so this is a real obvious purchase that I strongly recommend you get. Ask your dentist next time you go and check out the 10 options below.
If you have never trained with a mouth guard I highly recommend you do some sessions with your mouthguard before you start sparring. If you have never worn one while playing a contact or combat sport it can affect your breathing compared to what you will be used to. Something to keep in mind!
So now that you are planning on fighting here are my top 10 mouthguard recommendations for you to consider.
1. Safe Jawz Mouth Guards
Now my top recommendation has to be SafeJawz, when I first started boxing I had bought a flimsy mouthguard which really didn’t feel like my teeth were completely protected when I got punched. I noticed one of my sparring partners in the gym wearing a unique mouthguard with a special design whenever he clinched down on his mouth guard. After the session, I asked him about his mouthguard and that is where came to light of amazing SafeJawz mouth guards!
SafeJawz has two main options to choose from including:
Self-fit mouth guards – A cheaper option and can be fitted using the simple boiling and bite down fitting system which you will see in most mouth guard options online. Find out more here.
Custom Fit mouth guards – these are all handmade by the Safejawz dental technicians. When you order a Custom Series mouthguard, SafeJawz will post out a dental impression kit that you can use to take your own dental impression to get fitted properly for you. There is also the option to get your own personal design on them, which are made and created by the Safe Jawz team. Find out more here.
Definitely worth the extra money if you want to save your teeth!
Learn more about SafeJawz products on their website here.
2. OPRO Power-Fit Mouthguard
After the above Safe Jawz mouth guards, I would highly recommend going for an Opro mouthguard, I have personally had a good experience with these mouth guards not just in boxing, but playing other contact sports such as rugby and hockey.
In terms of the above Opro Power-Fit, this is probably one of the best self-fitting mouthguard you can get and you will without a doubt get brilliant protection and comfort wearing them. Make sure to also check out the other Opro options further below.
Learn more on Amazon Here: OPRO Power-Fit Mouth Guard
3. Venum Challenger Mouthguard
Venum is a renowned combat sports company and because of that, I have much trust in this product. Features include:
- Nexfit Gel Frame for a better adjustment and comfort
- High-Density Rubber Frame for better shock management, and protection
- Comes with a protective case for better hygiene
Learn more on Amazon here: Venum Challenger Mouth guard
4. Shock Doctor Gel Max Mouth Guard
Shock Doctor has been around for as long as I can remember wearing mouth guards in contact and combat sports. This guard has always been a good cheap go-to option if you are on a small budget. Features include:
- Gel-fit Liner Technology makes it an easy to fit for your teeth and gums providing a comfortable fit
- Breathing channels make it easy to breathe while wearing the guard and maximize your performance.
- Multiple color options to choose from
- Heavy-duty Exoskeletal Shock Frame provides full mouth protection during the hardest impacts.
Learn more on Amazon here: Shock Doctor Gel Max Mouth Guard
5. OPRO Platinum Level Mouthguard
Another Opro Mouthguard worth checking out which is arguably just as good as the above Power-Fit option. Features include:
- Elite Level Protection will absorb high-impact blows and spread the force over a larger area, shielding your teeth and gums from injury.
- Superior Custom Fit: The fitting fins break down in the fitting process to grip your teeth in all the right places so you can breathe, and speak.
- Mouth Guard comes with an extended 18 Month $17,500 Dental Warranty for peace of mind.
Learn more on Amazon here: OPRO Platinum Level Mouthguard
6. OPRO Silver Level Mouthguard
Probably the lowest quality of all the Opro mouth guards, but still a fantastic product if you are not sparring that often or you are on a really limited budget.
Learn more on Amazon here: OPRO Silver Level Mouthguard
7. Champs Breathable Mouthguard
Champs mouth guards have specifically been made for combat sports including boxing, MMA, Muay Thai and wrestling. This unique mouthguard has 3 central air holes to allow for max oxygen flow to help improve your performance and breathing technique when fighting.
Learn more on Amazon here: Champs Breathable Mouthguard
8. Lo-Bloo Slick Mouth Guard
The Lo Bloo Slick mouthguard is one of the thinnest guards you get on the market with the aim to help breathe, drink and talk while wearing it. Other features include:
- Superior fit which ensures maximum contact with your teeth and gums, spreading impact forces evenly
- Retains its shape with its rigid material
- Created with only food-grade materials and is free from BPA, latex and phthalates.
Learn more on Amazon here: lo-bloo Slick Mouth Guard
9. Nxtrnd Classic Mouth Guard
Nxtrnd Classic Mouth Guard is definitely a more basic option to go for and is definitely one I would be more cautious about. On the plus side you get two mouth guards in their package which can come useful if you are wearing them a lot.
Learn more on Amazon here: Nxtrnd Classic Mouth Guard
10. Opro Gold Level For Braces
For those with braces, I thought it would be important to also give you an option for this and of course, Opro comes back into the mix! I would highly recommend you also check out Safe Jawz custom-fit mouth guards if you have braces and I would always check with your dentist depending on your mouth condition.
Learn more on Amazon Here: Opro Gold Level For Braces
If you have just read through the above 10 mouthguard options, it’s quite clear that the quality from SafeJawz and Opro make them industries leading mouthguards and are definitely the options I would recommend considering. Sometimes certain mouth guards just don’t feel right in your mouth, so it is worth trying out a few before you commit to custom-fit mouth guards if you don’t have the budget.
If you are still unsure about what you should do, ask your dentist as they will make the best decision on what option to go with.
Thanks for reading!
If you’re looking for more boxing and protective gear, I recommend you check out the following articles:
- Top 10 Best Boxing Head Guards for Sparring
- Top 12 Best Groin Guard Protectors For Boxing
- 10 Essential Pieces Of Gear Every Boxer Needs
- Top 10 Best Boxing Gloves For Beginners 
- 30 Best Boxing Gloves | Buyers Guide | Training & Sparring
- Boxraw Knuckle Guard Review | Personal Experience
- Boxing Equipment You Need Before You Start Training
Whether you're male or female, if you are going to be sparring in your boxing gym or even competing in competition. You will have to invest in a quality groin guard protector. This is to protect...
If you are going to be taking part in sparring in your boxing gym, you will without a doubt need to invest in a decent boxing head guard. I really can’t stress this enough as it will make you...